Snapped & Caught

COURTNEY HAMMONDS
It took me a couple of weeks to actually wrap my mind around writing about this latest Fashion Forward-It Guy.  Courtney Hammonds is not only a Trail Blazer when it comes to Fashion and Style, but I am also proud to say that he is my very best friend.   

I may get bashed for saying this but it's something that I will always admit to saying.  As of late, I have begun   to call Atlanta (my current residence), The Black Hollywood.  Its filled with people who have chosen to follow the trends of the masses...only to be accepted.  A great deal of people who unfortunately live here now buy "statement" pieces that others own, simply just to try to belong.  This doesn't hold true when it comes to Courtney.  He has an identity all his own, and isn't afraid to show it.  And in my opinion, this is what makes a style icon, and not a simple fashionista/fashionisto.  

Although born in Columbus, Ga., Hammonds spent the first years of his life in Germany because of his father being in the military.  Sure,  he was immediately exposed to various cultures and lifestyles because of this, but he gives credit to his mother ( who made a living as a runway model) and two aunts, for basically giving him his introductions into the world of fashion.  

Due to my paranoia and the devastations of Sept. 11th, I relocated back to Atlanta.  I decided to make my time worth wild and went back to school to get my degree in Fashion Merchandising.  That's how I met Courtney.  He was this extremely poised, somewhat soft spoken man, who also possessed an abundance of confidence.  And although he was always impeccably dressed in vintage garb, it was his eccentric and ever changing eyewear that lured me in to see what what he would have on next.  Hammonds was part owner of URUP, a boutique in Phipps Plaza,  the most prestigious mall that Atlanta has.  I learned later that he was the first man of color to ever open a store at this location.  

Backtracking just a bit, I might need to let those who are unfamiliar with Courtney actually know a little more about his statement pieces.  People who impact the world often have something that people recognize them for.  Michael had his glittered glove, Farrah had her tresses, LL Cool J has his lips, Boy George has his makeup and hats, and like Elton, Courtney has his eye wear.  When questioned about this, I was shocked to here that Hammonds vision is just as good as the next man, but during a family trip to London, a vendor placed a pair of round basic black rims on his face and he was hooked every since.  Granted, the colors shapes, and tints have all varied, but truly its something we come to expect from the It-Guy. 

Adding to my curiosity about his style, I had to ask about his clothes.  "I define my style as intriguing, unpredictable, and individualized.  I love to shop at Neiman Marcus, Vintage and Thrift stores, and even Target  for basics with a flair" he says.  And when asked about peoples reaction to his style of dress, he promptly answers,"Most people respond in a positive manner, because they recognize something within themselves." (Truth be told, if you know Courtney like I do, others with negative opinions don't really matter).

As long as I have known Courtney, he has had numerous things on his plate at once.  After URUP decided to closed their doors, Hammonds continued mentoring aspiring stylists and designers such as Anthony Williams, a favorite contestant on Project Runway, working full time at Neiman Marcus, becoming an instructor at one of the Atlanta branches of The Art Institute, and even making time to further his education to receive his doctorate in Business Administration.  To this day, I don't understand how he does it all, but in his down time, he admits to relaxing with a cup of hot tea, enjoying slice of cheese cake, and self reflecting  But please don't think he is all saint, Courtney also loves to shake his tail and  loves a good STIFF... errr cocktail every now and then too...

Like any ambitious being, Courtney sees himself excelling as a professor in the fashion arena and continuing to brand himself even more so.  For more information on Mr. Hammonds and his works, please visit : www.uniqueimagesintl.com




Comments

Popular Posts