CREOLE COUTURE

FASHION FORWARD MEN
chats with  
Julius LaCour Jr.

On my quest to feature new and rising talents, I decided to update my Facebook status and ask for  submissions.  Slowly but surely, messages started pouring in.  And although I was very specific as to what I was looking for, I found myself being bombarded with numerous questions that I simply didn't have time to respond to.  Then it happened... One of my readers named Allison suggested that I feature her brother.  It wasn't really a suggestion, but more of an urging.  

"My brother's work is perfect for your site," she said.
"And you know us New Orleans folks have to stick together," she added. 

 I was already somewhat familiar with the line Maison De LaCour, and from what I had seen, I was really impressed.  Me liking a designers work doesn't mean that they would automatically grant me an interview.     Trying to land an interview with a designer can be a tricky thing, and for many various reasons (unless you already have some sort of relationship with them). Catching up with a designer can be like trying to trap a  wild animal.  They can be evasive creatures.  Some are introverted.  Some are shy. Some can be so busy, they simply don't have time.  As a result of this, you are referred to their Public Relations teams- 
who respond to your questions in such a watered down manner, you almost never get a meaningful explanation.  And this is something I do not want.  Realizing that every circumstance is different, I decided to take Allison's advice and reach out to her sibling, Mr. Julius LaCour.  To my surprise, Julius responded within minutes agreeing to answer my questions. 

While accompanying his mother to pick up a few things from the grocery store, Julius(aka JuJu) found himself wondering down the magazine isle.  Like many of us, he found himself drawn to all of the attractive people gracing the covers of the glossy printed pieces of paper.  But one outshined them all.  It was the latest issue of GQ.  There he stood, flipping through the pages until he came across an advertisement for Dolce & Gabbana.  Wearing a sequin embroidered t-shirt, the models look was completed with a pair of heavily distressed jeans.  The young JuJu was captivated by the image.  Arriving back home, JuJu scrambled around grabbing scissors, bleach, paint, and fabric glue.  All the essentials he thought he would need to achieve the image he had just seenHe was only 12 years old. 

After breaking his mothers sewing machine quite a few times, the determined JuJu stuck with his new fixation, and became better at his new hobby.  It didn't take him long to realize this was something he enjoyed doing.  And good for him that he did.  Today his creations are more refined and oozes luxury.  But not to worry... For those who appreciate more of an edgy, deconstructed look, LaCour has a second line, JuJu Blasé, a line that somewhat pays homage to his beginnings as a designer. 

"Maison De LaCour is exactly what it is. It is the House of LaCour and it's very personal in a way. I feel like I am giving consumers a piece of myself in each garment. A piece of history, a piece of my ambition and knowledge. I've built this house not on just making beautiful clothing, but striving to find new ways to do so. Working with new materials or finding new ways of finishing the inside of garments.   I created JuJu Blasé when I was still in school. When I look back at it, it was kind of naive in a way. It had a very urban feel with a touch of luxury. It was supposed to be for the person who was very nonchalant about fashion," he describes the difference between the two.  
We as individuals come from all walks of life, but no matter how much we all differ, a few aspects ring true in most of us.  Longing for success happens to be just one.  For an artist, this can be a grueling experience.  Imagine doing something you love, so much so you decide to make a living doing it. Now imagine doing something you love and it isn't well received by the public.  That's shattering!!!  But in order to know if we are actually good at it, we have to put our hearts on the line, and showcase our works to the public.   Fashion Forward Men was curious to know how difficult this path has been for Mr. LaCour.  

"This journey is just ridiculous and crazy, but I wouldn't give it up. It teaches you to still be humble no matter how much your ego gets constantly stroked. I've sacrificed a lot just to be in the position I am in today. I remember I had to make decisions on whether I had to buy fabric to finish a collection or pay my rent. I've been homeless more than once, sleeping on a best friend's sofa but still kept my little singer in my suitcase and broke it out when need be. I have always been grateful to go through those obstacles, and I have always been grateful to have people who believed in me and still do to this day," he says.   
  With his eye focused on a larger picture, and obviously one larger than what Louisiana could provide for  him, Julius packed up his life and moved to Chicago.  Enrolling at the Art Institute,  LaCour was serious about making a name for himself.  He majored in Fashion Design, and managed to land an internship with Vassar Magazine.  Pleased with his abilities, the magazine offered him an internship as their fashion head.  If you think this was enough, you're wrong.  For Julius, there was no turning back.  Wanting to learn all he could, the ambitious LaCour took on a second internship with designer Agga B. Raya

Although that Dolce & Gabbana image served as a very pivotal point in JuJu's life, that doesn't mean that he didn't have other influences.  Joining the duo, are Alexander McQueen, Karl Lagerfeld, and Ricardo Tisci. Before moving on, Julius mentions that he likes Maison Martin Margiela, Givenchy, Julius, and Topshop.


Eight years has passed, and although the designer has experienced certain trials, he continued on.  A few weeks ago he received the keys to his first store location.  Located at 401 S. LaSalle Street, Maison de LaCour carries apparel for men and women.  And what amazing timing it is.  Just recently he launched his Fall 2012 collection. 

'The inspiration for that collection was flagellation, the history of it and how it used today. It had a very dark, raw, and s&m feel. All of my inspiration for every collection is something taboo in society and cultures. I always try to incorporate it," he explains.

Going into 2013, Julius is working on expanding his brand by getting his designs into other stores.  With as much talent this man possess, I am sure he will have no problem.  Fashion Forward Men wishes him the best of luck, and of course we will keep you posted on new developments. 














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts