MY EYES ARE PLAYING TRICKS ON ME

OMG, when I first saw these images, I smiled because Robert Mapplethorpe happens to be one of my favorite artists.  After the second or third image in, I realized that it in fact wasn't him, in fact its model Nick Rea made up to look like him.  How scary!!! Its soooo convincing.  Photographed by Jean Baptiste Mondino, and styled by Serg Girardi,  Numéro Homme does a fantastic job with this S/S 2011 homage.  The editorial captures the very essence of the controversial but legendary icon. 

(below is a picture of the REAL Mapplethorpe.)

Comments

  1. I do not agree with you about the convincing power of these pics. To me they all are what Mapplethorpes pics were not. Slick and superficial fashion photographs.
    Rob Jurka, Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts