FATAL COMBINATION

They may make beautiful clothes, but what about their personal style???

It all started a couple of days ago.  I was having a discussion with a dear friend about how happy we were to see how well a designer acquaintance of ours is doing.  Leave it to me to start thinking way out of left field.  Although my acquaintance's business has picked up, I began to express how dreadful his own attire was. His personal style and his creations don't go hand in hand.  It's the same as seeing a hair stylist with uncombed hair.  It doesn't make sense.

 Going further into my warped thoughts, I then began thinking about all the other designers whose everyday wears don't really come to par with their creations.
As a stylist, I always try appreciate ones ability to express themselves through their clothes.  Growing up, I considered myself very shy.  I was lost when it came to the know hows of approaching people.  Attempting to step outside of my comfort zone,I decided to express myself visually, hoping that those who could relate would approach me instead.  What could have been a huge backfire, thankfully fell into place for me.

As lovers of fashion, we all have various tastes as well as reasons why we choose to dress the way we do.  Some people want to fit in, some people are followers, some are attempting to keep up with their peers, some simply want to shock the world, and others simply do as they please.  Whatever the case, we all have our reasons.
Shifting gears a bit, I want to touch on the more prominent/established designers we recognize. Even these individuals have been guilty of this issue.  Some of them even go through a drastic change.  And its not just designers that fit into this category, its particular people in the public eye who has "came up." When they were first introduced to us, we see them as being one way.  Then it happens... They make a little money, and  suddenly unleash a wrath of unexpected coo-coo.  Confusing??? Yes... But why does this happen?  Could it be that after they have shown they are able to bring the top dollars to the suits i.e. backers/corporate world, they are slowly given more creative control? Possibly.  But because of this, I have to ask, "who was the original person we were introduced to, and were they real?"  And what about those who have taken their images to far?
  
Knowing that I am not the only one with this viewpoint, I decided to take a survey just to get other peoples opinions. To keep a slight bit of anonymity, I will be using the contributors first names only.  Noticing that the majority of those choosing to participate in this survey work in the industry, I felt it wise.  Also wise because a great many of you guys obviously needed to vent because several of these legendary designers were thrown under the bus, and drug through the deepest puddles of mud with your comments.

Shall we begin???
(John Galliano)

 As if he hasn't been facing enough problems lately, the eccentric John Galliano received the harshest criticism from those who took part in this poll.  When asked what they disliked about the former House of Dior designer, the responses came in droves. 

"He dresses like a homeless person on acid."
"He is a genius, but he looks dirty."
"Straight up filthy!!!"
"Pirates of the Caribbean called, and they are looking for extras."
OUCH!!!! I didn't expect this type of input, but hey... Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Coming in a close second, and honestly coming as quite a surprise to me is Marc Jacobs.  At first I thought that it was because during the early 2000,s Marc was known for having long tresses, and lets face it, he was kinda dorky looking.  Those days are long gone.  Nowadays, Marc has managed to tear himself away from the design table, and has clearly devoted some quality time to a gym.  The physique is now nicely chiseled and bronzed, the hair has been trimmed styled, and the clothing has even changed.  So with so many positive changes taking place, how did he end up on this list?
 Obviously annoyed, Fashion guru Rique commented, "Hermes Birkin bags, COMME des GARCONS- head to toe... I mean come on shouldn't he be wearing and promoting his own brand? Ugh!" 

"Should designers only be limited to wearing their own line," I questioned.


"NO but damn if your gonna prance around town in drag with a birkin bag at lease throw some of your own shit on sometimes."

(I guess it's safe to say that Rique isn't featuring Mr. Jacobs AT ALL...)

(Betsey Johnson)
(Donatella Versace)

Not to make this a list of all men, the survey takers added two women to their "list of tragic."  Betsey Johnson, although loved for her corkiness, was added because of her in ability to dress her age.  As a cancer survivor, Betsey probably wants to live her life to the fullest and with no regrets.  But of course, this was the furthest from peoples mind when they made comments about her questionable hair extensions, and her clown like attire. 

Aside from Marc, Donatella Versace was another who came as a surprise to be nominated for this list.  The outspoken Ayana stated "she is way to creative for her own good." I didn't know how to interpret this other than I think Ayana sees Ms. Versace as being somewhat gaudy.  For me, Donatella was interesting because the survey takers took what I originally asked them and put a spin on the original question, and with full speed, ran with it.  Instead of them speaking about attire only, they decided to mention poor Donatella's physical appearance (surgery).  Poll taker Harvey even said that she should start incorporating more girdles under her apparel..

Oh well... It is what it is...   

clockwise: Jean Paul Gaultier, Michael Kors, Issac Mizrahi

Finishing up this Worst Dress list are Gaultier, Kors, and Mizrahi.  While Jean paul is probably the most fashionable of this trio, it appears that people think that he over does his sailor/nautical look, and needs to move past it.  Michael Kors, ranked the most boring of all these designers combined.  I understand you may be "conservative," but like the survey takers, even I have to question the constant wearing of a black tee and blazer combo.
Mizrahi is the last that I'm going to touch on.  Sure he is wacky, which I kinda like, but I (like others), get tired of the bandanas he is always wearing.  I wonder how many he actually owns.  His hair ALWAYS appears to be disheveled, I and I get it.  It's obvious that your hair doesn't act the way you want it to, so you tie it up.  Issac, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  Cut that mess off and move on!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts