BOARDED UP

LUXURY RETAILERS IN SOHO ARE BOARDING UP THEIR STORES DUE TO COVID-19


It has been a little over a century since the world has experienced its last pandemic. In 1918, the influenza epidemic that swept over the world claimed an estimated 50 million lives. And like the influenza crisis, there currently isn't a cure for the Coronavirus. Countries all over the world has urged their citizens to stay in doors. Due to this order, retailers were forced to close their doors. Stores that are categorized as "essential" are only allowed to remain open. 

A few days ago, I found myself walking through Soho, a posh shopping area in New York. I was in route to grab a few items from the grocery store.  The city seemed abandoned.  The streets that I know as being lively and energetic, are now eerie and depressing. I can count on one hand the amount of people that were on Spring Street. Our faces covered in protected masks, the feeling of not even wanting to make eye contact (for that too seemed to be contagious) appeared to be understood on both ends. 

I found myself swerving from walking on the sidewalk, onto the streets so that I could keep my distance from approaching pedestrians. I then began to notice a number of stores had been boarded up. I initially thought to myself that these establishments had gone out of business. Paying closer to the awnings and signage, I realized that it was almost impossible. A quick reminder helps me realize why it was done. I then began to think to myself, if cities around the world are being shutdown, and people are forced to stay home, who is thinking about shopping during a time like this? These stories arent selling neccessities such as food, or hygenic supplies, so why do this? And for those seeing this, what would they take away from this? 

For me, witnessing this stirred up a bit of fear. Fear that quickly turned to understanding. At some point, this pandemic will be over, and once it does, it will be a shame to come back to ramsacked stores that have been burgalirized or now occupied by squatters. But is this all happening too soon? Stay Tuned...


GUCCI at 63 Wooster


Canada Goose at 101 Wooster

A Bathing Ape at 91 Greene Street

Kendra Scott at 126 Spring Street
Longchamp at 132 Spring Street

Dior at 105 Greene Street
(above)pic taken on April 11th 2020

(below) workers returned to reboard the store a week later of April 18th 2020




Fendi at 99 Greene Street




Louis Vuitton at 116 Greene Street



Ralph Lauren at 109 Prince Street



Written by Rudy Reed 

Comments

Popular Posts