MAGICAL MOMENTS

FASHION FORWARD MEN TALKS WITH THE ENCHANTING ANDRE J.


 We have been in lockdown in New York for more than two weeks now, and as I do my best to avoid turning on the news, the hysteria of the Covid 19 pandemic is unavoidable, including social media. The fun posts from our friends, favorite fitness and IG models, and reality show gossip bloggers are now facing stiff competition from the constant reminders for us to was our hands, stay in doors, and the importance of social distancing. Our latest Snapped & Caught personality has chosen to use their platform to uplift and motivate. If you are already familiar with Andre J., then you already know that their inspirational messages existed long before this crisis ever began.

Known for their eclectic style, the Fashion Forward Men team was longing for the opportunity to dissect the many layers of Andre J. We are grateful to finally have the chance.

Born in Newark, New Jersey to a single mother, Andre Johnson was raised in housing projects called Academy Spires. An only child, Andre shares that they were very spoiled during their upbringing. Bitten by the fashion bug at an early age, we can imagine that this inherited trait was passed down from Andre's mother.


"I have always been stylish. I only wore sneakers for gym in school.  I only shopped at Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord and Taylor. High school was interesting. I was voted Best Dressed and Most Attractive with the occasional fag every now and then."



(photos by Theo Banzon)

While being the only child may have its perks, studies show that many embody particular traits. Many of them exude confidence, are highly organized, perfectionist, have a higher sense of privacy, and being introverted as well as extroverted. Andre chimed in on the latter two. Adding that they enjoy a great deal of self time, or as friends would call it single child syndrome.

Phases of adolescence hits all of us differently, Andre confessses that they never struggled with self identity. However they did make the decision to move to Los Angeles to deepen self discovery. This would began the initial blossoming phases of  the Andre J. we know and cherish today.


"I love myself. I don’t care what people think about me. Their views of me does not change the way I feel about myself. When I moved to Los Angeles, I had never traveled. I met some friends that were actors and they were making this move and it was right up my alley and I took the jump. I trust my intuition. The freedom of exploring a place that no one knows you and you can introduce yourself as YOU SEE YOURSELF is liberating. Through that leap of faith. I was on The Late Night Show with Jay Leno three times and I did a episode of Being Bobby Brown with Whitney Houston." 

The Late Night Show experience sounds extremely random, so naturally I had to know how this happened. Andre explains that this was during the early 2000's. At that time, they were working as well as living on  Melrose Ave (when Melrose was celebrity central). 

"It was a segment on Human Curiosity and the producers of his show saw me and came to the boutique that I was working at and inquired if I was interested. They emphasized Jay is gonna love you. I have always been fearless and that was my reason moving to LA for those opportunities so I seized the moment and I was looking fly so I stepped up to the camera and spread love like only Andre J can do. It was in my destiny."

I may need to add that during this time, one of Andre's signature work looks was a fur hat, a hole-covered beige fishnet shirt, and a pair jeans so low they left very little to the imagination. Not to be confused for a transgender prostitute, Andre would always change before commuting back home to their $60 a night hotel room on the Sunset Strip.  

As the evolution of Andre continued, they found themselves relocating back to the east coast. New York to be exact. Andre became a part of the Big Apple's nightlife scene, hosting parties at venues  such as Lotus and Hiro. Although quite entertaining, Andre also obtained a day job working as a publicist for the legendary Patricia Field boutique. 

Standing 6 feet tall, Andre's presence as well as appearnce demanded attention. Having a great love for 70's and disco, they share their abundance of love for  Diana Ross,  Cher,  Donyale Luna, Blaxploitation films, Woodstock. Instead of trying to describe and risk potentially boxing in Andre's style we found this to be a great opportuinity to obtain the correct information. Categorizing it as "Urban Mystic. a 70’s twist of Mystical Magical African GOD/GODDESS." Andre shares that they have a strong fondness of vintage clothing. 

"I don’t have any specifically that I love. What I find is what makes it magical for me."

Then there's the hair. Just like the wardrobe, the hairstyles adorned by Andre are something to behold themselves. One could consider them works of art.  Whether it be a carfully coiffed afro, an Amansunzu (a hairstyle traditionally wore by Rwandan men), or intricately braided hair showcased with a genourous amount of accessories, Andre's day by day head to toe looks could look as though  several hours were put into planning them, but we have a feeling that many of these combinations are birthed organically.

(right photo by Delphine Diallo)


Ive always said that anyone who has ever lived in New York can write a book about their lives. Even those who feel they live the most boring. A simple trip to the deli, or a commute to work on any given day could involve you in scenarios that you never anticipated. Same goes for Andre. For the average Joe, if you were to see Andre walking down the street, chances are you will ldo a double take without question. The looks and comments are probably endless. 

"They GAGG!!! People sneak and take my picture a lot. Sometimes they will run ahead of me, turn around and take my pic. It’s kinda crazy and annoying but I have to realize Showing Up as my authentic self in a world of clones will prompt those actions. My energy is also positive so it’s inviting UNTIL I set those healthy boundaries. I’ll give you a example. I was on the train and a woman sneakily snapped my pic as if I were a spectacle. So I said to her “if you want a pic you should just ask” her response to me was “ I don’t need your permission to take your photo” That’s when I realized the world is crazy and I’m not waisting my energy on these fools. Fuck it I look dope anyway HOE take the pic lol."

The masses may gawk, but just as many recognize, acknowledge, and appreciate Andre's individuality. And on a summer day in 2007 it would be shown. Andre was spotted by Joe McKenna. Recognized as one of the world's most influential fashion editors in the world. McKenna's resume is quite impressive. He has held the title of Fashion Director at Large for The New York Times, and is known for his nineties Calvin Klein campaigns. When he saw Andre, he was currently on the phone with the iconic fashion photographer Bruce Weber.  With a bit of nudging from, Weber decided to shoot Andre for French Vogue. The shoot would be for the November (2007) issue and would also feature model Caroyln Murphy and be styled by Carine Roitfeld




Deciding to give New York a break, Andre felt the need to venture out and experience living in other parts of the world. First up was Vienna, Austria. Next would be Antwerp, Belgium. From there Andre would go to Paris before having a final settling down in London. 

It may have seemed out of the blue for Andre, but the fashionista would be contacted by Creative Director Nicola Formichetti asking if they would be interested in shooting with Nick Knight, one of the world's most influential visionary photographers. Knight has worked with the creme de la creme of artists and designers such as Alexander McQueen, John Galliano, Tom Ford, Bjork, Lady Gaga, and Kanye West.  It was now Andre's time to shine. 

 "I GAGGED. Ironically I had just done a vision board and Nick Knight was on that vision board to shoot with and GOD IS GOOD it happened!" 

The project would be a fashion film, and would be entitled VenusSexuality and gender are both explored and would feature model Kristen McMenamy, trans model and adult film star Danni Daniels and of course Andre. The models were all shot separtely. McMenamy, who paved the way for many edgy androgynous models of today would be shot on a different day, so Andre didnt have the pleasure of meeting her. 

Scheduled to be the first of the models to shoot, Andre arrived in usual energetic but humble form. Styled in a gold Balmain gown, and emphasized with red roses and glitter in the hair, the team laid Andre down and let the magic take place. 
The only one with a speaking role,  Andre boldly declares, "I'm not a woman hunny... I'm not a man hunny... I am something that you'll never ever understand!"  With that being said, Andre would be Fashion Forward Men's first nonbinary person to become part of the Snapped & Caught Series. At the initial stages of the interview, Andre would also express that I use pronouns they, them, and theirs during my referencing. 






above: stills from the film. 
please click the "link" to see it in its entirety- NSFW

Currently working on several projects that they are not will to divulge at this time, Andre shares with FFM that their they have plans of once again leaving New York, but because of the pandemic, these endeavors have been put on pause. But when this craziness is over, and hopefully it will be soon, those who are in New York that haven't seen the enchanted one may be lucky enough to get a glimpse of them in some of their signatures pieces: black leather  pants and shorts, silver platform boots, my Grillz, nose rings and fishnet stockings.


(photo by Hollis King)

Be sure to visit Andre on Instagram at: @andrejworldwide



written by Rudy Reed













































                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

















Comments

Popular Posts