CATCHING UP WITH CHRIS

FASHION FORWARD MEN 
SHINES ITS SPOTLIGHT ON A RISING TALENT

The industry in which I have chosen to work can be a very frustratingly tedious and highly dramatic world.  I am no different than many others who will tell you that they too have thought about walking away to free themselves of the constant bickering and bullshit.  But just when we are at the end of our ropes, and ready to say fuck it, we have a talented, kind hearted soul to enter our life, adding a refreshing dose of optimism. For me, Christopher Smith (aka Christopher Tomás) is one of these individuals.  

Our initial meeting a few months ago was brought on by something I am required to do on a regular basis.  Begging!!! I was in the process of pulling clothes for a shoot and I although I had a few trusting designers and showrooms I could always rely on, I still wanted to extend myself to new ones.  Deciding to reach out to Christopher, I found myself quite surprised by his prompt response, and his own excitement.  He genuinely seemed happy to help.  

It has been several months since I have interviewed and featured a designer in the Fashion Forward Men spotlight.  I felt that Christopher was the perfect person to restart this section. 

Doing a bit of research, I had already learned that the designer is originally from Richmond,Virginia. While there,
 the laid back gent attended Norfolk State University, majoring in Fashion Design and MerchandisingBut was it that lead him to relocating to the Big A?

 "It (Virginia)wasn't so much for me."  
"I've always wanted to move to New York ever since I visited for the first time when I was younger. The bright lights, the busy streets of people and cabs. There's just so much to offer here in the big city. So the amount of opportunity really made me want to make the move
 I started to work hard and save up money so that I can do it on my own,"he explains.   

Many people have a great love of fashion, but it takes a particular type of person to dive in and actually attempt to make it a career.  Especially being sane enough to know that many are not able to survive simply because they are considered to be creative.  One thing that I have learned about Christopher is that he has always had a quiet confidence about himself.  Motivated by the sheer possibility of what he can become, Tomás recalls that even at a younger age, he would have several visions bouncing around in his head.  He began sketching the images and realized how much satisfaction it brought to his life.

Doing what you love as a hobby is one thing.  Having the public appreciate it enough to purchase it, is an entirely different ballgame.  And if they should choose to take this route, they will need to prepare themselves from haters, negativity, and scrutiny.  Is the 23 year old from Virginia ready for this? 

"Often times, designers have to toughen there skin due to negative responses or people not understanding your vision. How do you deal with this? Simple. I don't. Ha.. I have no time for negative energy. I'm probably one of the most positive people out there. When someone has something negative to say about what I'm doing, I would simply smile and carry on. To each is own."
 














Following his heart, Tomás put the wheels of his quest into motion.  Realizing this is now a reality, this movement now needed a name.  Fortunately the name would be a no brainer for the new entrepreneur. Living by the motto "Live Learn," Christopher knew that he wanted to incorporate it into the name of his line somehow.  Wanting to make it a little sexy he switched the word learn with the word lust.  And with that Vivre Dèsir was born. 
Caturing to both men and women (ages 20-40), Vivre Dèsir explains that its pieces infuse glamour and grunge.  Smartly priced between 50 and 200 hundred dollars.  The company has a wish list of clients such as Cara Delevingne, Scott Mescudi, Nicole Richie, and Pharrell Williams. 

Although his company has an overall black aesthetic.  That doesn't mean that Christopher's personal style has to reflect that.  At least not all the time.  

"How would you define your own personal style? I have two styles. I give a very casual look at times. Cuffed khakis, a nice Oxford button down w/ the sleeves rolled and vintage nikes. Then I'd usually give a simple rebellious look. Some worn out skinny black denim jeans, an over-sized sweater and black boots."

An obvious lover for all sorts of clothes, Tomás shares that some of his favorite designers are 
  Raf Simons, Kara Laricks, Rick Owns and Alexander WangHe also enjoys shopping at
Opening Ceremony, American Apparel, and an occasional thrift store.

In order to make ends meet, Christopher works at J.Crew.  On top of that he has recently gotten into modeling.  And has already managed to be signed with CHASE MODELS NY.   With so much going on, one can assume that Chris' life can be hectic and stressful.  I was curious to know exactly what the designer did when his wasn't running around like a mad man.
  
"For fun I go to places like the aquarium, museum, galleries, different clothing stores to check out what's out there. Just random adventures in the city.
What do you like to do in your down time? When I have down time I love to eat a lot, pop in a good movie, listen to some music and just relax all day. Down time is my lazy time. Ha."


Christopher Smith embodies the true essence of a New Yorker.  Always doing the most... And why not??? He is young, talented, and seems to be enjoying his life.  He has a few more exciting things in the works, but as of now, Fashion Forward Men will keep it a secret. I suggest you stay tuned.


Written by
Rudy Reed 


Special Thanks to Photographers: 
Davide Laffe
Vince Chase
&
E'an Nigel

Comments

  1. NICE Interview..

    Glad to see that you are posting more exclusives again.. Its one of the reason i fell in luv wit the site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts