SNAPPED & CAUGHT: Stefan van der Elst


My knowing of Stefan van der Elst hasn't been very long. In fact, its been only a couple of months.While doing research for a men's grooming piece, I came across images of this very handsome man who I didn't recognize. Always on the hunt to expose you guys to various people in the industry, I looked him up, and reached out to him.

It's no secret that a spotlight of sorts is now being shined heavily on bearded men in the fashion industry.  A spotlight that most of them, didn't ask for. But since it has, I figured, why not get to know one of these men, and NOT just the facial hair...

Like many models, they fell into the industry by flukes of some sorts, And a fluke is exactly how Stefan started himself. This past summer a friend of Stefan's asked him to take sit in as the subject for a project he was working on. The pictures were actually being taken for the Fall/ Winter 2013 issue for Elsevier STIJL.  being the good friend, Stefan agreed to do so.  

After a little time passing, the issue was finally released. Stefan probably didn't realize it, but his life was about to change.  Only days after the issues release, Stefan received a call from I-am-ELK wanting to schedule a meeting. 48 hours later, Stefan was signed

Good fortunes don't just fall from the sky when it comes to a model wanting to be signed to an agency, and Stefan will quickly find this out.  Before being picked up by his second agency, Why Not Models, Stefan would learn just how fickle this business could be.   

"I had a go-see for an agency in London once, and I did not make the cut, you could dwell on this but I realize that it’s a very competitive world. So to be invited even for a go-see of whatever is an honor, even if don’t get the job."


Although we tend to see them as alien like creatures, models are just like the rest of us. Unlike most, models have the added pressure of having to worry about the industry being done with their look, and onto the next. Imagine going in to work, and your boss sending you home simply because of  the way you were born.  Its nuts. It's an unreliable world of fantasy. Having a back up plan in reality is key.
Thankfully Stefan is already living in his. 

Now 30 years old, Stefan has lived a bit longer than many others in the industry.  Not saying that he has a foot in the grave, but with age comes wisdom.  And lets not forget, modeling fell into his lap.  Aside from having striking good looks, he also has quite a head on his shoulders.  His secondary education is very impressive.  Attending Utrecht University of Applied Sciences, Elst majored in Biomedical Science. Married to his wife for seven years now, Stefan hasn't fully devoted his time to modeling.  In fact, he provides for his family by working at the Hubrecht Institue. Known for there contributions for stem cell research, the Hubrecht Institute is recognized as being one of the best science institutes in all of Europe.


 I am all about people having well rounded lives, but how common is it that you find a scientist working as a model? Its rare, if it has ever happened at all. So what made Stefan take this path? 
 
"Fashion has been on very sleek models for a while now, so when the real “manly” look came into style I was cheering along the side. It doesn’t matter who gets the job, I am just proud to be one of those bearded guys who push the boundaries on the more characteristic male model jobs."

  Characteristic or not, most models are always perceived to be something they are not. We see them in looks that are cooky, extra distressed, avant garde (and even casual) looks derived from the mind of the stylist. And because of us not knowing them, we began to envision what we think their lives actually are.  Mind you, often times, dead ass wrong!!! So after all the wackiness is stripped away, I was curious to know about Stefan's own person style.

"I really like the classical approach, with a 1920’s to 1960’s upper and tight jeans from the punk era from the 1970’s, laced it up with some really nice bulky boots. On top of that, I like to wear classical wool overcoats. I have a good friend who is deep in the fashion business, he has his own shop in my hometown and sometime I can order some stuff from the catalog, even though his shop wouldn’t sell these type of style. Or he takes me to the warehouse of a specific brand and I go nuts. Also me and my wife like to visit large cities all over the world to get inspired and we always bring an empty suitcase and leave with a full one. Designers I really like are Balenciaga, A.P.C, Lanvin, Grenson, Ralph Lauren and all those high end fashion designers. I really like the fact that quality is a major thing nowadays," he says.


After hearing about his education, and primary line of work, I can somewhat understand why Stefan considers himself to be somewhat of a nerd. With that being said, I find myself questioning this.  Being stereotypical how many nerds are heavily tatted? When he isn't in a lab, or on set, Elst finds himself doing other things that he love.

 "I used to skateboard, but before anything there was music. I was heavy into it, I used to rap and make beats, still make beats though. I am also a deejay and still do some gigs sometime."

Hmmm, okay Stefan.. You say nerd, I say all around cool guy... 

Working as a model for only six months now, I am sure Stefan's adjustments have been interesting, to say the least. He has learned a lot in a very short amount of time. Its unfortunate all of this new knowledge hasn't  been the most fun learning.

"When I first started I expected to encounter a lot of big egos and what not, but its has been a blast, everybody is very kind and willing to work hard, which inspires me to work even harder.
I haven’t been in it for a long time. But I was really struggling with the late notifications. 

 Getting so many people in one place is a nightmare for those who arrange all of this. but that’s the industry."

But with the bad comes the good. When I asked about his upcoming projects, never would I imagine just how good.  I sense that Stefan tends to enjoy being in the company of creative people and artist.  He shares with Fashion Forward Men a bit of info about another dear friend of his.  After working for popular shoe brand Clarks, the friend decided to leave and start his own brand.  He would name it 
Wednesday Whiskey. You guessed it, Stefan is now the face of the brand.  Maybe I should revisit Stefan in six more months to see where this fast tracked industry takes him next. 

STAY TUNED!!!









.

Comments

Popular Posts