TOUCHING BASE WITH BOB

As of late I am starting to to believe that things don't happen simply by fluke.. I think things happen because that's the way they were destined to be.  About a year ago, I was asked out on a date.  The first stop was to an exhibit of an Atlanta based photographer.  When I first heard of this, I was excited, but as the time settled in, I began having my doubts.  If the Six Degrees of Separation law was actually real, it was probably birthed here in Georgia. I thought.  I say this because A few months prior to my date, I was asked last minute to style a shoot with another photographer who I considered a friend.  The shoot went off with out a hitch, until it was time for me to get my images.  Or shall I say, NEVER receive them... After several months of practically stalking this guy, I eventually gave up.  It was a lesson learned.  I vowed to never work with him again.  With that being said, i knew I would run into him during this outing. 

A few days before the event was to take place, I searched for the name BOB BURKHARDT on Facebook to get some sort of idea of who he was.  Instantly I was greeted by some of the most beautiful black and white images.  I sent a request along with a few compliments of the work I had seen.  Short quick responses bounced back and forth, all to end with me telling Bob how much I looked forward to meeting him. 

As soon as I arrived, I saw Bob surrounded by a group of guests.  I made my way over to formally introduce myself, and then it happened... I felt a hand on the small of my back, and without turning, I knew who it was.  I said my hellos to my former friend and kept it moving. 
It was a packed house, and although I saw several familiar faces, I was drawn to the amazing imagery that was before me.  The energy was quaint, and although it was my first time at this location, I felt very welcomed.  
I recently had the opportunity to work with Burkhardt, and was also fortunate enough to do a brief interview with this talented gentle man.  
  After high school, Burkhardt continued his education at Maryland Institute College of Art where he received a degree in Graphic Design.  It was there where he was introduced to photography.  Although learning about this new skill, one can assume that it wasn't necessarily love at first click.  B.B. admits that he took a rather long break from it.  The launching of the digital camera somehow put the spark back in the affair.  Shortly thereafter, Bob formed pb&j design with his partner Jack Simonetta, and friend Peggy Dana.  The trio began showing there works at local art festivals.  

When asked to name those individuals whose work he idolized most, B.B. didn't hold back with a very impressive list.  Although he explained that there were to many to mention, he was quick to drop the names George Hurrell, John Todaro, Maya Guez, and Todd Hido.   Some of these influences can be seen in Burkhardt's crisp and clean images.

Always paying attention to detail and lighting B.B. has mastered the skill of capturing his subjects.  Whether its flowers, landscapes, architecture, or the human form, Burkhardt lures the viewer into his works. 
And speaking of human form, if you ever have a chance to go to his gallery, you will see photos of all types hanging on the walls. But how does he go about selecting these people?
"That's a hard one. Obviously I look for beauty... that maybe in a smile or in their eyes... I often think some people do not realize how the camera sees them. I feel as though I'm able to give them a gift when I've done their portrait."
When asked where he sees himself in the next five years, B.B. gave a simple yet honest answer.  
"I hope to be stay busy with my photography... in all its forms. Its never work for me when I have a camera in my hands so hopefully there's a tree, a face, flower just waiting to be captured."
"I'm striving to build my portrait business and portfolio, do more training and produce new and exciting shows at the gallery," he adds. 

* Located at 35 Howard St in Atlanta, Burkhardt pb&j gallery opened about four years ago.  His prints can be purchased in the price ranging from $30-$245.

Comments

Popular Posts