SNAPPED & CAUGHT: SKILLZ GOODEN

 SKILLZ GOODEN

 Handsome, Grounded, Determined, and Focused are just a few qualities our latest Fashion Forward It-Guy possess.  Just days ago, I had the opportunity and pleasure of working with Mr. Gooden.  Having such exotic features, I knew that this 6'2 model would be perfect for a concept I had brewing in my mind for sometime.  The question was to see if he was up for the challenge.  Captured by one of my favorite photogs, Bob Burkhardt, and styled by yours truly, Skillz arrived to set on time and followed direction extremely well. 
(Head Scarf: Stylist Own, Necklace:Camille & Co., White Tank: Lee Greggory of the-tee.com, Mesh Tank: Rudy Reed & Charles Lynch, Sweater: H&M, Shorts: Nice Collective, Shoes: Urban Outfitters)

Not to take away from the amazing makeup talents of dear friend Alex Lucas, Skillz already exuded a certain air of mystery.  Allowing me into his world, I got to learn more about the man himself.  

Although he has lived in Atlanta for the past 13 yrs or so, Skillz was actually born in Chicago.  Almost adding more truth to the saying "everyone in Atlanta is from somewhere else," I wanted to know what brought him to the south.   

"It was for educational  purposes," he confesses.  While attending Georgia State University, out latest It-Guy began taking courses in Psychology.  But realizing that he only "liked" this field, he switched to Design... A field that he actually "loves." 
 (Head Scarf: Stylist Own, Vintage Glasses: Metropolis NYC, Jeans: MEK Denim)

Fashion was basically in Gooden's bones.  At an early age, his mother allowed him to pick out his own clothes.  Sure, kids can can have wacky senses of style when dressing themselves, but Skillz was different.  Although he was experimental, the looks were cohesive and looked great.

Modeling since the age of  nine, it's no surprise that Gooden has been able to form some sort of opinion about this fickle business.  Like any job, it has its good sides as well as bad.  Although coming off as rather reserved in his demeanor, It-Guy Gooden seemed to come to life when he began speaking of the parts of the industry he adored. 

"I love High Fashion Runway... It makes me feel complete... It's gratifying...  I love that I can bring a designers creations to life once they are on my body."

And like a light switch, his tone suddenly changed becoming more serious.  "I know that this happens in fields aside from fashion, but one thing I dislike is that people mistake you for being one thing you are not.  If your intentions are for a particular purpose, then say so, other wise, be professional."

The phone interview was overcome with a brief silent moment of  tension.  And though his hostility wasn't directed at me, I knew what he was hinting on.  This industry that we work in can have a great deal of predators and vultures.  Manipulating the ignorance of newcomers only to get what they want is wrong and sometimes can feed into an awful stereotype.  For the record, NOT ALL MODELS ARE GAY!!! And most certainly, not all aspiring models and actors will "lay" and do anything to get there foot in the door.
(Poncho; Stylist own, Horseshoe necklace: Kayrene 'leather girl' Kelley, Necklace and beaded braclets: Camille & Co.)

Like any model serious about his craft, fitness is key.  I had only seen Skillz once before our meeting, and he was already working.  Being professional, I chose not to speak to much to him, but snapped a quick photo of him, although I knew I would love to work with him in the future.

Well the time had come,but unfortunately because of  schedules, I had to rely on his measurements via email.  I normally do fittings before hand to give myself an idea of what I'm getting into, because people tend to lie about their sizes.  Not this one.  He fit everything like a glove, and for that I was grateful.  NO ALTERATIONS HAD TO BE DONE!!!


Perfectly sculpted, our latest Snapped & Caught  gentleman admits to being a runner.  Aside from that, he admits to working out, but is very conscience of his diet.  Although loving cake and ice cream and having a huge sweet tooth, the exotic adonis also adds that he doesn't have a favorite food because eating in abundance is a sign of addiction.  And to keep so lean, he makes it known that he doesn't eat pork or beef... 


To keep things a mystery of this great talent...I am going to end this write up about him NOW, simply to bring you back.  I hope to work with this poised professional man very soon in the very near future.  I will say this about him, he does have a sense of humor and was able to roll with the punches in regards to my dry humor.  I purposely stepped on his feet and threw sarcastic digs at him, and he came back like a true champ, keeping his composure and still delivered.  

SKILLZ... YOU ARE ONE TRUE PROFESSIONAL !!!
 (Scarf: HERMES, Necklace: Camille & Co., Jacket: Lee Greggory)


***(Special thanks to my assistant, Mini Zachery)

Comments

  1. Rudy! Great job with the styling! You picked the right guy to do this with. I'm really loving the Arabian feel that the styling gives and Skillz's Egyptian-like eyes enhance the looks even more!

    Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts