SNAPPED & CAUGHT: SENECA PARHAM

FASHION FORWARD MENS LATEST LEADING MAN


Still on a high of relocating back to New York, Fashion Forward Men has decided to choose another man of style who resides in The Big Apple.  I met our latest inductee, Seneca Parham, on Facebook.  He isn't one of those people who feels the need to post something everyday, but even with that, I began noticing a pattern in his attire.  He was always polished.  The clothing was chic, and put together in an effortless yet suave way. I loved it.

Before approaching Seneca about doing this interview, I had already figured out in my mind I already knew what kind of person he would be.  Snapping back into sanity every so often, I knew that I couldn't know everything about another person so with that, I asked.  I am so glad I did.  Here I am, thinking that this man's entire life revolves.

You will see how very wrong I was...

"I’m only into fashion from a consumer standpoint.  I haven’t much interest in working in that industry.  I have a natural inclination towards interior design; beautifying spaces and making them more functional. I love organization.  I have been thinking however of starting a fashion/design blog because I have an eye for things and I love to share things from my point of view.  I never rule out anything though so maybe one day I’ll end up collaborating with someone instead of starting one on my own," he says.  

For the Snapped & Caught series, FFM takes pride in searching for and interviewing men from all over whose style embodies what this blog is trying to convey.  At one point, Fashion Forward Men attempted to showcase men on a month to month bases who lived in different cities.  This was done because I was  attempting to show how looks and possible trends varied from place to place.  Unfortunately this idea was short lived for a number of reasons.  Primarily it was due to me not factoring in those being interviewed for this category possibly lived in another city or state before their current one.  Guys that were interviewed and showcased began to overlap, and it was causing my format to teeter. 

  Seneca, isn't even a New York native himself.  Born and raised in Florida(Ft. Lauderdale and Miami to be exact), our latest gent shares with FFM that he has only been here for three years.  And the reason he decided to make the move was because he loved the pace of the city.  he also found it easier to express himself.  Learning this only 
validates why my original format would not work even more.  With his chic/euro way of dressing, and his blatant knowledge and love of fashion, hell by just looking at the man- would anyone ever think that he was from a place where elderly people go to retire?  NO WAY!!!

Deciding not to categorize his look without a rebuttal, I decided to ask Seneca how he would describe his own personal style.

"I'm minimal... Most of the time.  I don't really define it though.  I just do what feels good in my soul, and that goes down the line," he explains.

"My favorite clothing lines are Raf Simons because of his minimalist approach to modern menswear. Gucci because nobody beats their cuts. I favor a slim tailored fit. Dior Homme. Comme des Garçons. Jil Sander (even though I don't own any) but Jil Sander has such a beautiful minimal aesthetic. Shades of Grey by Micah Cohen (affordable modern fits). And let's never forget about Zara."

 Judging by the lines he mentioned, and detailed oriented way of thinking, one could assume that S.P. would devote a certain amount of time per week going to the gym.  And its true.  Unfortunately the images in this piece doesn't show his well sculpted body, but trust me, he has one.  Aside from lifting weights, Seneca also  tends to make wise choices when it comes to his eating habits.  This means that there is no consumption of sodas, and keeping fried food intake down to a minimum.  Sounds like a reasonable diet.  Lets just hope that his love of pastries doesn't eventually sneak up and overcome him. 

  Never one to ruin the intended silhouette of an ensemble by being out of shape,  Seneca confesses that having things in his pockets annoy him.  But he leaves in New York and in New York, the ins and outs of your day can drastically change.  Especially if you are a person on the go.  With that being said, whenever one of Seneca's friends see him, he probably has some fabulous bag or clutch in tow.   
Random effects in such a bag may include his iPhone; charger; wallet; keys, toiletry bag; earbuds; mini umbrella; lip balm; hand sanitizer,and probably a number of things he failed to tell us.

While on the subject, dressing minimal also doesn't mean it takes less time in getting yourself together before walking out the door.  Of course Mr. Parham has already solved this issue for himself.   
 

"I play dress-up a lot when I'm bored.  I play with whatever I have in my closet.  That way I have ensemble ideas in my mind at any given moment." 
 
Life isn't just about fashion and shopping for anyone.  I don't care if you have a career in it, or extremely strong passion for it.  We all have other things in our lives that has to be tended to.  Girlfriends, boyfriends, eating, studying, whatever, we all have various factors/distractions in our lives.  They make us who we really are.    

 During my time of exchanging numerous emails and text messages to S.P. I noticed that the outer peels of his shell had began to  fall.  I was starting to see the essence of Seneca Parham.  

This past spring, Seneca did volunteer work for The Senior Housing Facility thru the Met Council. I will be honest, I didn't expect to hear this.  Afterall, how often do you hear of a young vibrant man who has only lived 
 in New York for three years decide to start doing charity work? Probably never... The conversation progressed, but shortly thereafter, learned what caused him to doe such a selfless act.  

"I actually grew up in foster care, so I know how it feels to depend on strangers.  I plan on volunteering again. It makes me feel good.  when I was a kid, of course I was embarrassed by it.  As an adult, its no longer my issue." 


As fashion lovers, most of us have particular designers we put on a higher pedestal because of our own tastes.  We juggle their names around in our heads, giving reasons why we love their varying aesthetics, trying not to damage their egos.  We carry on with this "personal" conversation for a few seconds and realize that these people aren't really in our presence to begin with(and probably never will be).  You then come to terms with yourself, and mutter who the all time favorite really is. 


When asking Seneca who his top favs would be, he responded with the same name three times.
 MILAN VUKMIROVIC, MILAN VUKMIROVIC, MILAN VUKMIROVIC.
 Milan, is an amazing designer, as well as photographer.  He teamed up with Laure Heriard Dubreuil and Frederic Dechnik) in Miami to open a store called THE WEBSTER.  There, he was responsible for the interior decorating. Oh, did I mention that Milan is highly known as a style icon as well?  He to has more of a minimalist look.  It makes perfect sense why Seneca would idolize him so. 

Obviously admiring Vukmirovic's career path, I ask Seneca where he sees himself in the next three to five years.

  In one sentence he responds, "Working as an interior designer in NYC and in love."

-STAY TUNED

***Those wanting to follow Seneca, look him up on Instagram
Name: applejuce












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts