SNAPPED & CAUGHT: MYLES SEXTON

A WONDERFUL KIND OF BEAUTY

I was first introduced to Myles Sexton through an image.  He was used as a model showcasing a recent project designed by amazing illustrator Glen Hanson.  The beautiful yet mysterious creature practically bounced off my dusty computer screen,demanding my attention.  Although I was intrigued, it wasn't really my idea to interview Myles.  In fact, it was several of my regular readers who suggested that I do so.
 Give the people what they want, I said to myself.  And with that, I approached Myles about this piece.

 Mr. Sexton's style can be considered unconventional, and in some cases controversial.  In my eyes however, this is a very wonderful thing.  Risk taker, edgy, and original, Myles Sexton not only embodies what I  look for as a feature in the Snapped & Caught Series, but his breed is also one of the primary reasons Fashion Forward Men was even created.

Currently residing in Toronto, Ontario, our latest IT-GUY is a model, a make-up artist, and jewelry designer. And just when I thought that was all, I learned more.  Sexton has also recently become a contributor to an on-line blog/mag. Oh yeah, he also has a site of his own that requires maintaining.
 Only in his early 20's I questioned his involvement in so many projects.
 
"Well I grew up in a small town and I felt that for the past 17 years of my life that I spent there I could not wait to allow my creativity to explode. I love what I do and my art finds many mediums. I could not imagine my life, slow and lifeless. I always wanted it to be filled with something exciting and beautiful... I'm on a mission to accomplish my dreams, and I don't see the whole world waiting for me! I have to chase after it," he explains.

To a certain extent, we can all identify with Sexton's words.  However, what differs greatly are the steps we as individuals took to get us where we are today.  And honestly speaking, because of Mr. Sexton's image, even the smallest of minds would assume that this mans journey was no breeze in the park.

After Myles agreed to the interview, my wheels began to spin.  Knowing very little about the man, I made a list.  And on that list was to learn more about his back story.  It was a necessity in some ways.  Sure, I have had brief chats on line with him, but that wasn't really telling me who he was. 
   In order for me to give his obvious fans what they wanted, I felt the need to become more in tune with his past.

"My Childhood was interesting to say the least. It was the greatest learning experience I think of my lifetime. It was hard growing up in a small town where being different is like being exiled. I never chose to be different and despite my every effort to be just like every other boy it was never good enough. So I was punished by the other children in my school.  I can't remember a time as a child when kids did not make fun of me for being "gay" and I did not even know what being gay was. Though there was some pretty beautiful women and men though who did stand up for me!!! I am glad  that I grew up the way I did because it gave me the gift of internal drive and passion for what I do and how to look at life."

While his childhood peers may not have been as understanding, Myles' family is quite the opposite.    Although acceptance of his not so traditional lifestyle was somewhat smooth, that doesn't mean that the shock factor was non existent.  


"I don't think they ever really knew what to say. I've been shocking them since the moment I learned what peroxide and eye liner were. They are totally supportive of me though! I am living my dreams so how could not they support me?"

Like his childhood peers, modeling agencies can be harsh, and sometimes down right nasty.  Yes, he is attractive, yes he is slim,  yes he is tall, but with all those qualifying factors, that still doesn't mean that he has people banging down his door to give him work.  Though male, Sexton's features are not really boyish, in fact, they are quite feminine. Naturally, I had to ask about his ordeal when it came to searching for representation. 

"Well I think the hardest part is really finding an agent that believes they can push me to my greatest potential. My look is not commercially marketable. Most of the time agents will not even consider signing me because I will not make them money fast, i take a lot more work, but could have the potential to become something bigger then a filler model in my eyes. They are always telling me I am too skinny, too edgy, and need to change myself to be more masculine," he says.

"I did not even know what Androgyny was until the last three years, I've lived my entire life by human nature. Not until recently I guess I found a technical term for myself I suppose."


Often times I ask people how would they define their personal style.  And although I realize that we are all such complex souls, this question sometimes doesn't make sense.  But I do it for a reason.  I would rather the person tell me how they see themselves instead of me trying to categorize them, and be wrong.

"This is honestly the hardest question for me to answer and everyone asks me it! My style is honestly the perfect representation of what my current mindset is in! It really changes so much I don't think I could define it."

And although we have our own tastes, we also may appreciate peoples style we look up to, or have no connection to at all.  For Myles however, his list hits pretty close to home.  His top three are
Shaun Ross, Jeffree Star, and Philipe Blond.

"I think they all are three individuals who are not afraid to be themselves. Their courage inspires me to the deepest amount! I don't think my personal style reflects any of them, but I do love creeping on their instagram to see what they are wearing!!!"


When he isn't admiring what his style icons are wearing, or paying homage to his favorite designers: Chloe  Dior, The Blonds, Tom Ford, Lucian Matis,and Mugler, our latest IT-GUY is designing his own collection M.Sexton.  Most of us have done minor tweaks and alterations to make a look our own, but I applaud his willingness to put his creativity out there for the masses.  
 
"When you are living 100% on your own and you have to provide for yourself, you find ways to make your fashion sense happen if its important to you. I got tired of never having anything with a statement to wear,  so I started making myself accessories that where inspired by clothes I'd see on the couture runways.  Then people wanted to buy the things I was making so M.Sexton was born."
 

As I mentioned earlier, I have a bad habit of asking people to define themselves.  And although most people (including me) get annoyed by this question, I continue to dig.  Most people, when describing themselves, have a tendency to be more vocal of things that are more positive.  Although I accept their  response, I choose to continue to block the corner I have now put them in.  Slightly evil I admit, but I enjoy it.  So what about his short comings? Exactly what is it that makes M.S. more identifiable? 
 
Apparently Mr. Sexton is used to this game because he didn't really give me much of a response.  

"When I get obsessed with a song, I rape my repeat button.  I am a huge control freak."

 He also admits to indulging in to much home made ice cream and Doritos. (Sounds like I need to approach him from a different angle next time).

Entrepreneur, risk taker, and loved buy many, is this the only write-up Fashion Forward Men will do on this gentleman??? NO WAY!!!

Comments

Popular Posts