Snapped & Caught: RL Bond

A MAN OF ZEN
 (Cap: Robin's Jean, Shirt: Ninh Collection)

It was day time when I had the urge to do this, somewhere in the world the stars were alined.  Dear friend and photographer Jerris Madison was here(NY)in town on visiting.  Wanting to keep our creative juices flowing during mutual downtime, we agreed to do a quick collaboration all while catching up.  Only needing a model, Jerris gave his buddy RL BOND a call to see if he was availableThankfully he was.   
Within five minutes of meeting, RL, I found myself silently thanking Jerris for reaching out to RL.  In the past, I have had to deal with less than enthusiastic models when it came to location shoots, so I really didn't know what to expect.  RL was friendly, energetic, and full of personality. My mind was now at ease. Along with our crew was photographer and Asst. Creative Director (Obvious Mag) Harvey Jackson, who captured portions of this story on the streets of Manhattan.
 (Cap: Robin's Jean, Jacket,Shirt and Jeans: Ninh Collection)

So exactly who is RL Bond? And exactly what does RL stand for? Although I wanted to hear his story, I found myself needing to address this question almost immediately after meeting him. Turns out, it isn't short for anything, its his actual name.  It is also his father and granfathers name as well.  So without being too intrusive (yet), one can guess that he most likely comes from family who values pride and tradition.

I didn't bother asking RL how old he was. During my putting him in and out of his various looks, exchanging rather humorous jokes, talking on more serious topics, I got to know the man, and not the model.  And what I cane honestly say is that he comes off as being very grounded. 

Although a native of Decatur, IL. RL relocated to Tampa FL. to attend a school for acting.  Shortly after completing, he relocated to Miami.  During that time, he recalls having conversations every now and then with people suggesting that he look into modeling. Curious about the field, he began doing a bit more research, and eventually started shooting.  He loved it!!!  With star reaching ambitions, Bond was ready for a lifestyle change.  He decided to leave Miami, get rid of the car that he had grown tired of having and make his way to the New York.  This was about five years ago. 
                                        (Shirt: Ninh Collection, Pants: Robin's Jean)

 "Moving to New York was a challenge, but it's all in your state of mind...  How you think.  Do you want to live a positive life or negative?  The choice is always yours. It has changed me a lot!  New York can make you hit rock bottom.  But it makes you realize you have to work hard and find out what your passionate about.  When you are struggling in NY you realize the moment, but when you get past that you never forget those hard times because life is a roller coaster.  You must go up to come down.  When your down, embrace the struggle because it's not forever.  New York is a city where you are always able to find inspiration.  Anywhere you find inspiration you acknowledge your creativity.  When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change," he explains.   

            (Blazer and Pants: Ninh Collection, Sweatshirt: Lee Gregory)

While on the subject of lifestyle, having your hands in several cookie jars at once, seems to be part of the New York way.  It's the hustle that keeps us alive, Always wanting to do more and more.  When he isn't modeling, RL occupies his time with an occasional catering job and with martial arts training.  Shaolin Kung Fuh to be exact. This explains why his body was in such great shape.  And although its a requirement for any model to take care of their body, Mr. Bond's body fat was practically non existent.    

"I train about three times a week.  Shaolin is basically all of the martial arts combined together.  The more pain you take the more you start to fully understand yourself.  How life is precious, beautiful, painful and enjoyable.  Truly understanding your Yin Yang.  It's impossible to have physical pleasure without physical pain.  When you are a model staying in shape is a job.  Some do not realize it, but you must have that discipline and drive 24/7.  You always have to be ready.  When you are not ready opportunity passes you by."

Even with the rigorous training he puts his body through to stay in shape, doesn't mean that RL is exempt from facing rejection in the shallow world of fashion and beauty.  I was curious to know exactly how he coped.   

"Everybody in the industry will face negative and positive obstacles.  I choose to only look at the positive.  The positive is that you must go through the negatives to appreciate where you are going or what kind of brand you must become." 
 (Sleeves Denim Jacket, Pants, Belt, Shoes: Robin's Jean Shirt: Ninh Collection)

I don't really consider myself a loner, nor do I consider myself to be a "people person."  I do however feel that I am normally good at reading people.  But every now and then, I meet someone that stumps me.  As you guessed it, RL is one of them.  If it weren't for individuals like him the Snapped & Caught section probably wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.  When it comes time for me to do these interviews, I often find myself being very surprised by responses, what I learn, and how their personalities may have differed from the original way I perceived them to be. 

During the shoot, I remember telling him how great all the clothes looked on him. He agreed with me, saying he thought so too, but not in a cocky way.  Having a well defined body, most individuals who work out and have ideal proportions can make almost anything look good.  I was curious to know what lines he like, and where did he shop. 

"I can honestly say that I do not have any.  I am a t-shirt and jeans type of guy.  I respect all designers/lines though."
  
 I didn't find myself too surprised at his response.  Contrary to belief,  many models prefer to wear easier more comfortable garments for everyday wear.  Probably to counter the uncomfortable, and sometimes over the top creations draped on them during work.  Sharing that he prefers to stay home meditating, instead of running the streets, the model probably doesn't have a need for all the fancy clothes associated with his job anyway. 

With the holidays fast approaching, most of us are looking forward to stuffing our faces with things we know is bad for us, RL on other hand will not.  Although he has an occasional drink, his eye is on the prize.  Instead of being pulled into senseless tv shows, the private, devoted health conscious model plans on working, training, and reading books that have more positive and inspirational messages.  

(RL is currently with Q Models)
  


-Rudy Reed 

Photographers: Jerris Madison and Harvey Jackson 
Stylist: Rudy Reed 
Model: RL Bond

Special thanks to Ninh Collection and Robin's Jean

Comments

Popular Posts