FASHION BOXES

For as long as I can remember, I have been called fashion forward, edgy, or stylish. Even
today as I dressed for work I made myself laugh at the garments I proceeded to coordinate. Wearing a navy and white pinstripe shirt and blazer with a pair of vintage plum colored slacks
and a tie composed of slate, burgundy and taupe( pinstripe of course), may seem like a bit much to be worn together, but strangely enough the look worked. The look was very dorky, especially after putting on my glasses (Nothing like having a slim body and a confident attitude).
 
The outfit caused me to think about certain aspects of fashion, its evolution, and bad stigmas past looks may have today. During the 70's and 80's and even decades before men wore fitted clothes. Very fitted clothes...Ones sexuality was never a question. So why is it now? Why is it that when some people see men in tight jeans/slacks they automatically assume that he is gay? When did this all happen? Sure, I hear some guys wearing baggier clothes saying "I need to breathe, "and I can understand that, but what makes a fitted trouser turn into something more than a fitted trouser? It’s silly... Were Jimi Hendrix, Sammy Davis Jr., Malcolm X, The Beatles, all closet cases? They all wore fitted pants. It steams me because these same men who have problems with a more tailored fit, are walking around with pants so big, they are falling off them exposing their butts, and showing them intentionally mind you. Now which look is more "gay?"
Are all men who wear baggy clothes thugs? Of course not…
Let's get real about all of this.... Naturally, most men have bulges, and what do bulges do? They stick out, sometimes causing our focal points to be drawn to them. This of course leaves the homophobic men to call even the slightest of fitted pants gay. Why...Cause they snuck a peek at the goodies and are now embarrassed, or dare I say slightly turned on? Just my thoughts...

Comments

Popular Posts