LEADING MEN

 As I sit here organizing my magazines, I began thinking about one of the questions I tend to ask most of my Fashion Forward-It Guys: "Who are some of the current male fashion icons of today (currently in the public eye)?" For the most part, they all look at me somewhat puzzled.  It's always easy to look back in time and mention The Rat Pack, Cary Grant, and James Dean for reasons that take very little effort to explain.  But what about today? Are there really any?  Sure, but this may be slightly more difficult to answer because fashion is all over the place right now.  And I'm sorry to say this...not really though.  Just because a person i.e. celebrity has an abundance of money, and even a clothing line(dare I mention names), doesn't mean they are icons.  A fashion icons clothing should possess a certain longevity, and yes... much longer than a trend. Their looks should influence others and have people wanting to duplicate.  I also believe that  in some cases, these individuals should have a consistency of being polished, or be ever evolving to keep the public guessing. 

Only to be fair, I decided to ask myself the same question I placed on others, and to my surprise, I actually stumped myself slightly. With careful thought, I came up with a few whose images I admire today.
TOM FORD 
The first word that comes to mind when I think of Tom Ford is SUAVE.  Before Ford became one of the worlds top designers, he actually worked as a model while going to Parsons School of  Design for Interior Architecture.  No matter it be posed or candid, he is always camera ready and embodies style.   

JOHN LEGEND
I have followed this talented singer for quite sometime, and I have always been impressed with his attire.  Whether it be on stage, walking the streets of New York, or making a special appearance to an event, Legend  infuses Urban and Chic clothing very well. 

ANDRE 3000
This leather in the summer- silk in the winter wearing rapper/actor should come as no surprise to you for making my list.  One half of the famous rap duo Outkast has never made any excuses when it came to his gear. And that's exactly how it should be.

CHUCK BASS
Sure, I know what you are thinking... Chuck Bass isn't a real person, he is a character on Gossip Girl.  Very very true, but one thing you can not deny -is that the Costume Designer, Eric Daman does an impeccable job at styling  Ed Westwick for his role.  Typically you see Chuck in suits, but what I love is that he makes them his own.  The pompous character is not afraid of color, mixing prints and patterns all the while keeping his appearance stylish, modern and youthful.

DAVID BOWIE
Before there was Austin Scarlett and Johnny Weir, there was David Bowie.  Never one to shy away from androgyny Bowie was ahead of his time causing spectators to gasp from his heavy makeup, heels and infamous body suits.  
  
Pharrell  
 Currently one of the world's hottest It guys, Pharrell Williams is definitely doing his thing.  The handsome rapper/producer  is making a name for himself collaborating with Louis Vuitton making backpacks as well as designing for his own line Billionaire Boys Club. 
 





 


Comments

Popular Posts