Rudy's "Reeds"

(A MESSAGE FROM YOUR SITES CREATOR)
I woke up this morning thinking about ways of improving this site.  Although I am truly happy at the way that the site is coming together, I feel there is more to be done.  Most people that know me are aware that I can be somewhat outspoken when it comes to my opinions in fashion, and I honestly believe what I have to say does tend to make sense.  Whether you agree with me or not is well within your right, and I can understand that...to each his own.  Aside from enlightening you on latest designers and rising models, I have decided to add a component to the site that I will call Rudy's "Reeds" (guess I was blessed with the appropriate last name. lol) This new component to the site will be my viewpoints of fashion and the industry.  Will I be harsh??? Possibly...Will I be honest??? Of course... But aside from that, I will be constructive and fair.  I feel that good things that happen in the industry should be discussed just as much as the bad.  

Yesterday I was surfing the net and looking at various sites and thinking about my upcoming projects, and then all of a sudden, I begin developing somewhat mixed emotions.  A few of these sites had guys calling themselves "models" were photographed shirtless, wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and boots and or sneakers.  I will say that  in most cases it made sense for them to be dressed in this manner, but what happens when a guy is trying to break into the business, and the only thing he is being shot in is a pair of jeans and shoes...CONSTANTLY???

Guys, when you are trying to build a portfolio it is very important to have diverse looks in your book.  Being physically fit isn't a bad thing, in fact your physique helps to show the structure of the garments, and that helps designers sell their product.  But when you are barely dressed, you are not selling anything aside from a possible gym membership temptation.  The industry can be very brutal.  If I were a designer/scout, and saw a book filled with nothing but a potential model with nothing but basic looks, chances are I would close the book, say my thank yous and continue my search.  There are thousands of people waiting to break in this business, so I urge you to make your ports stand out.  

It is always good ask questions before agreeing to do shoots, and don't be afraid to ask to see previous work they have done. To the stylist..., if you are only dressing guys in jeans, tees, and boots, that's not the art of styling, that is helping a man get dressed.Perhaps you yourself should invest in a few fashion mags and look at a few editorials.  SHAME ON YOU!!!

Comments

Popular Posts