Fashion Saves Film Festival

Sunday October 17,2010 marked the last day of the Urban Film Festival in Atlanta, Ga.  The event did it's fair share of advertising, which built the intrigue instilled in me to grow.  Although I didn't know what was to be expected, I knew I would be attending.  Not only was I excited to mingle with the independent film makers, I was extremely eager to see the latest collections from designers/buddies Darrell Cortez, and Lee Gregory.  

As I laid out my clothes, I figured that I should mapquest and print the directions to the event.  After seeing the address of the unknown area I began feeling worried.  It was in a part of town I have never been and the location  was just downright strange.  Despite my hesitation, I knew I had to go.

After getting somewhat lost, my assistant and I finally reached our destination.  My stress level was once again slowing down to a simmer... Arriving on time, I  found myself being able to have one on one time with both designers.  Interrupting Gregory while he worked up a sweat because of worrying that something was out of order,and Cortez walking back and forth, (occasionally picking up a pair of the models shoes to my sure they were polished) I got the info I needed.  
Making it back to my table, I noticed other attendants starting to arrive.  All seemed to be going ok until I noticed the unthinkable happening.  Five minutes, Ten minutes, Thirty minutes, an  Hour Late!!!  The show was suppose to start at 5:00p.m.  I was very confused about why this was happening.  The clothing was prepped and ready, and all the models were there.  So what was really going on???  I later learned that the coordinators of the show were the culprits of the tardiness.  Adding fuel to my brewing fire, I was made aware that a Film Makers award ceremony originally scheduled to follow the fashion show, was now being shifted ahead due to a large amount of guests needing to fly out.  Working in this industry as long as I have, I am fully aware of the uncontrollable mishaps that tend to happen during events.  this however was taking the cake.  With that being said, anyone trying to keep their professionalism knows that The Show Must Go On...
The first collection of the show was from a local cap designer.  Although Fashion Forward Men doesn't really cover clothing geared towards this particular demographic, I will say that the caps were nicely made, and will probably do very well in its market.
 With all the problems that were occurring at the venue, all seemed to be forgotten when the designs of Lee Gregory made their way to the runway.  The famed Atlanta based underwear designer wowed and dare I say shocked the matronly infested audience with his Fall 2010 collection.  I could hear sounds of  "Oooooohhh's and "Ahhhhhhh's," and even a few overly sexual comments made by a more mature film maker seated at the next table.  Obviously approving of what she was seeing, the now frisky woman ignored her husband sitting next to her.  Clicking her camera as fast as she could, the woman quickly shifted back and forth in her chair making sure she caught images of all the buff exposed flesh in front of her.

Lee was intending on putting about 15 looks in his part of the show, but confessed he had no problem showing more.  The new collection picked up just where his previous collection left off, hott and edgy.  There were some minor changes that was very noticeable.  The  heavily rhinestoned briefs that read FILTHY, DIRTY, or the suggestive ROUTE 69 seemed to have disappeared, but fan favorites like the tribal prints and grommets remain.  
 I don't know if underwear designers have a different aesthetic from "outer wear" designers when it comes to showcasing their creations seasonally.  But what I do know is that  instead of drab hues we typically see for Fall, Gregory took a different path.  Appearing to forget about the stresses of the show, Lee seemed pleased showing me the collections new colors. Pure yellow,aqua, fuschia pink, and even some Tye-dyed  fabrics now seemed to be the primary palette of the collection.  Although still waiting for pieces to come from his manufactures overseas, he did manage to put some awesome zipper front jackets that required a great deal of bead work in the show.  Aside from his signature tribal and grommet pieces, I also noticed that the briefs were now adorned the stoned street signs,another fun addition to the current. 
 The show was now in its full gears,but just as we were warming up, it was time to bring it to a close.  But before all was said and done, designer Darrell Cortez featured his Spring 2011 collection for the finale.  Going in a different direction than his multi colored previous spring 2010 collection Capetown, Cortez decided to go mod.
Viva Las Vegas was actually inspired by one of Darrell's favorite episodes on the show Friends.  Instead of going for the current more trashy images of the sin city, the designer went back in time to its more chic Brat Pack days.

Although the collection was sprinkled with a silver baseball jacket and a pair of speedos and board shorts made of gold, Darrell's latest back mostly consists of black and white.  While some may gravitate towards the light weight cotton shirts and boxers made of polka dots in varying sizes, others may flock to his psychedelic swirled/pinstriped combinations.  For me the sharp houndstooth suit was the pieces that really made me smile.  No matter what you personal style may be, Darrell Cortez's Spring 2011 collection will most likely have some for you.





Comments

  1. Thanks so much for capturing my inspiration and direction RUDY.. KUDOS as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWW... thanks for inviting me to cover it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful article about the "Fashion Forward Man". I really like the collection that Mr. Cortez has coming for next season. It's flirty, playful, sexy, and well done. I wish him much success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both collections.. I figured it was time for me to showcase undies again.. we all need them, unless you into commando.. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts