Shady Stevie

My (very)early Tuesday morning turned out to be like many of my other ones. Due to my inability to sleep through the night,  I wake up around 3-4 a.m.,  get a glass of water, and return to bed flipping through my phone until I am sleepy enough to return to dreamland.  All seemed fine until I saw a retweet from eyewear designer Stevie Boi.  Originally posted by Stevie's publicist, the message read "I was just held hostage in the airport because of some syringe sunglasses made by  SB Shades." Because of my warped sense of humor, I allowed myself to return to bed...laughing. 

Although Stevie Boi (founder of SB Shades) has been designing eyewear for quite sometime, it wasn't until a year ago he decided to take his creations public.  Already causing a stir, SB Shades has been spotted on the faces of  Ester Dean, Eva Marcille Pigford, Marcus Paulk, Trina, and a number of other celebrities.  And although the company has been blessed with a well known fan base, SB awaits the day to see the legendary Grace Jones in some of his works. 
 Not personally knowing Stevie Boi, I knew that I would have to put myself further out on a limb in order to make this piece one of more depth.  The majority of the models, photographers, and designers I interview, I already know, so it wasn't all that difficult to ask particular questions.  We as artist can be very sensitive about our craft,  and the last thing I want to do was offend.  For the record, SB answered all off my questions with great maturity and professionalism, which allowed me to develop a greater sense of who he was.  
  We live in a world that is heavily influenced by POP culture.  A great many individuals who idolize artists such as Lady Gaga, Beyonce, and Rhianna go out of their way to look like, or sometimes impersonate them-often times losing who they are themselves.  Mocking has always been known as a form of flattery and I see nothing wrong with that, AT ALL!!!  I  also don't have a problem with designers who are smart enough to recognize there is a market out there for those who want to dress like these icons.  They incorporate pieces into their collections in order to capitalize.  Because of SB Shades producing such edgy frames, I had to ask Stevie Boi about this. 
"Its just a trend.  Unlike others that's what I
am aware of. This is why I stress originality because without it you
can be a trend to,"
he responds.
Making sure not to knock off others, Stevie Boi draws inspirations from his own life, colors that surround him, and even his nightmares.  Aside from his publicist, manager, photographer, and assistant,  I found it fascinating that the designer is still working alone in his production process, especially because of the number of people being spotted in his frames. 
 Despite of SB Shades notoriety amongst the elite, the company wants everyone to realize that its merchandise is available for those who simply crave a bit more flair.  The eyewear ranges anywhere from $15-$500 dollars and custom made frames are also made. 
Keeping it a secret, Stevie Boi obviously has more business ventures in the works.  When asked what it was, he only replied with one word..."Luxury." So with that note, Fashion Forward Men wishes him the best, and wants him to know we will be watching. 





Comments

  1. Love him. i did a post on him a while back n missed his NY showing bc i has one at the tents, but we're collabing nxt time he's in ATL. GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a very talented...humble person....he will go a long ways in this industry....I enjoyed working with him here in los Angeles.....see u soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS TOMIK!!!... yeah, He seems to be pretty cool. @M, I wish him the best too

    ReplyDelete
  4. this dude is a fraud. he has over 90% negative reviews from his customers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me some stevie boi (big fan) he is the ish! i just bought 5 pairs but i already have 2 at home lol. love this kid

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ anonymous
    he is not a fraud wtf are you talking about he is young and people always trying to bring young people down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to purchase shades from him, but his reviews are AWFUL!!! The FBI is investigating this dude and all....NOT GOOD! I read that he takes your money, and you're LUCKY if you receive a product. He was getting paid thru some type of system on Amazon.com, but so many folks complained, Amazon was paying people back...A MESS! I need to see how the FBI investigation plays out first, and if all goes well, THEN I will buy his glasses. Until then, I just can't chance it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts